If you resolved to get healthier this year, you've probably started evaluating exercise programs and healthy foods to eat. But don't forget to include fun and enjoyment in your resolution, because that is the best way to keep it going all year long.
Here are some suggestions to start your wellness resolution off on the right foot:
* Incorporate your exercise program into activities you're already doing. For example, if you drive to work every day, instead of parking as close to the door as you can, try parking a long distance away or, better yet, bike to work. Once at work, instead of e-mailing or calling a coworker to discuss something, get up and walk over to her desk and have an in-person conversation. Take the stairs rather than the elevator. Dance to the radio while brushing your teeth at home - anything to increase the amount you are moving without changing your entire routine.
* If you already cook, go online, purchase a new cookbook or sign up for a cooking class and find some new healthy recipes. If you don't cook, consider learning how. You can challenge yourself to learn one new recipe every week, or turn your learning into a social event by inviting friends over for one of your meals.
* Relax with a cup of tea. Natural tea can help you reduce body fat and increase your metabolism rate. Studies have shown that Oolong tea leaves contain rich amino acids and cellulose, which lowers cholesterol and boosts metabolism. Green tea leaves contain vitamins C and E, as well as high fiber. And black tea leaves help with digestion. Having a cup of hot tea - without sugar or cream - after each meal will help you to slowly dissolve fat in your body. Look for premium tea leaves through Teawan (www.Teawan.com), quality tea and teaware products from Taiwan.
To brew Kung-Fu Tea, follow these steps:
1. Use purified water. Heat it to between 180 and 200 degrees.
2. Swish some of the heated water through the teapot and discard.
3. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of tea leaves in the tea pot.
4. Pour heated water into the tea pot and swirl two to three times in a horizontal circular motion to rinse the leaves of shreds. Pour the water out into a pitcher immediately.
5. Rinse all the tea cups with the remaining heated rinsing water.
6. Brew the first pot of tea by filling the pot entirely to the lid. Steep the leaves between 40 seconds to a minute. Strain the leaves using a filter and pitcher. Enjoy your health tea.
* Try a new physical game or activity. Sign up with a team to play basketball or volleyball. Challenge a friend to a racquetball tournament. Or prepare yourself for a marathon. Whatever the event, make sure it is an activity you enjoy, and set a realistic goal to ensure you stay with the activity throughout the entire year.
But most of all, see if you can't have a friend or family member join you in your resolution so you can hold each other accountable.